Monday 9 July 2012

‘The Hollow Crown: Henry IV Part I’ - BBC2 - Saturday 7th July 2012


(Rated 5/5)

And again...
Perfectly excellent!
Great cast, great writer, great production! Flawless!

This time the exchange between Hal (Tom Hiddleston) and Falstaff (Simon Russell Beale) - playing Hal's father and himself - gave me goosebumps!
Falstaff as Hal                        "...Banish plump Jack and You Banish The World..."
Hal as his father... himself     " I do... I will"

A friend and I met Tom Hiddleston when he came out of the Donmar Warehouse having played in Othello with Chiwetel Ejiofor in the title role. Tom had made a big impression on my friend - yes she fancied him big time ;) - but also she saw something startling in him - she told him that he would make it big in Hollywood. She was so right! Tom has incredible sensitivity, a very high EQ, is gently and beautifully eloquent and such an understanding of the human condition; our feelings and our struggles. As he says and does so convincingly: An actor can "inhabit every extremity of the human condition." 

For me Simon Russell Beale was an unexpected Falstaff but very good. Julie Walters was a delightful Mistress Quickly.

I am very much looking forward to Part II and then to Henry V.

Meant to say this play is also very dear to me as I studied it for English Literature at School :)

The Hollow Crown: Henry IV Part I – Review by TheRestrictedReviewer © 2012


Twitter: @RestrictReview




No comments:

Post a Comment